Re: Mentors needed for GSoC suggestions

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Mentors needed for GSoC suggestions
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 10:01:51 -0500

Hi Urs,

> On Jan 29, 2016, at 11:01 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> So I see two possibilities:
>>
>> 1. Add the new projects and re-sort the list so the projects with definite
>> mentors
>> are at the top and those currently without definite mentors are toward the
>> bottom.
>>
>> 2. Have two lists, one for projects with definite mentors for summer 2016,
>> and one
>> for the rest of the projects.  (The minor downside is then things have to be
>> refreshed each year.)
>
> I suggest the second option. IMO reviewing this every year and keeping
> it current is a good thing anyway. I'm sure somehow one "feels" if such
> a list is maintained or not …

Ok, I’d prefer for the first option, but I’m ok with the second if you and/or
others want to edit it that way.  I don’t think I have that keen a sense for
feeling out when a list is maintained or not.  :-)

Another possibility is to do it like the first option above, but just list
“Mentor” (or “Confirmed Mentor”?) for those with confirmed mentors, and
“Potential Mentor” for the others.

>> The chord project that Carl describes sounds like a nice addition to me, as
>> does your
>> project on spanners crossing voices.
>
> Should I prepare a description even if I think I can't serve as mentor?

I don’t see why not.  It might be nice to get more feedback from those who know
the relevant internals and can assess the difficulty and feasibility of the
project for a GSOC time frame, although that page says those ideas are not just
for GSOC, so it’s probably worth posting in any case.

-Paul