Re: Mentors needed for GSoC suggestions

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Mentors needed for GSoC suggestions
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 12:14:00 +0100

Il giorno gio 28 gen 2016 alle 10:00, Urs Liska <address@hidden> ha scritto:
So these five out of six proposals would have to be "downgraded" if no
mentor(s) volunteer for them.

What is left is the

1)
"Adding variants of font glyphs" project for which Werner Lemberg
volunteers as mentor.

2)
In addition there is a suggestion extending the ScholarLY library which
I would mentor (see
https://codereview.appspot.com/282290043/patch/1/10001 for a description).

3)
And there is a suggestion about adding chord structures that Carl
Sorensen would mentor (see the PS to
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2016-01/msg00197.html
for a description).

And finally I have one more suggestion for a project, but I wouldn't
volunteer mentoring it as I don't even know where/how to tackle it.
Consequently I can't really judge if it is suitable as a GSoC project,
but my feeling is it could be considered:

4)
Allow spanners to cross voices
Currently all sorts of spanners (ties, slurs, dynamics, text spanners,
trills etc.) have to be ended in the same context they were started.
However, this doesn't reflect the reality of notation in most polyphonic settings. Awkward workarounds with hidden voices are currently necessary
to achieve cross-voice spanners.
New ways of addressing this issue should be invented, for example by
allowing a "target context" specifying where to look for endings or by
explicitly defining IDs of the targeting grob (this is BTW an option how
spanners can be encoded in MEI). This is not at all about engraving -
which is already possible - so none of the complexities of actual
engraving code are involved.
This feature would solve a *lot* of problems that are commonly faced
with piano music and presumable other polyphonic instruments. And it
would make a *lot* of hacks obsolete that are now necessary when working with the part combiner. So I would be really happy to see progress here.

Hi Urs

I jump in late to ask if the transition to texi2any might be added to the list. It might not be a sexy project but it's very needed and we all know how much the documentation is important for LilyPond.

If Graham confirms his availability to be a mentor for this project, we may add this fifth project.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2015-07/msg00204.html
https://github.com/barrykp/lilypond-texinfo

What do you think?