Re: Mentors needed for GSoC suggestions

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Mentors needed for GSoC suggestions
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 10:27:49 -0500

> On Feb 4, 2016, at 5:20 AM, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Section 2.5 of the Mentoring Organization agreement specifies that projects
> cannot be documentation.
>
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2015/org_admin_agreement
>
> So it seems to me that unless we turn this project into a
> texi2html-to-texi2any translator, it is out of scope.

You’re probably right.  Looks like that’s section 2.3:

2.3            Projects. Mentoring Organization will not list or accept
projects for documentation. Projects must be for writing open source software.

Also their FAQ:

12. Are proposals for documentation work eligible for Google Summer of Code?

While we greatly appreciate the value of documentation, this program is an
exercise in developing code; we can't accept proposals for documentation-only
work at this time.

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2015/help_page#12._Are_proposals_for_documentation_work

However, one reading of this is that projects cannot be for _writing_
documentation, whereas writing code that’s involved in producing documentation
would qualify since it is still "developing code” and “writing ... software."

I don’t know how much the transition to texi2any would involve writing code...

IIUC, there were a number of changes to LilyPond's texi2html that were
candidates for upstream contributions to texi2html, or now I guess texi2any.
So there might be some coding work there. (Maybe as a texi2any project rather
than LilyPond?) (...but that’s still not tackling an open problem and writing
new code from scratch, but just upstreaming existing code.)

So probably not the best fit for LilyPond GSOC.  It nevertheless might be good
to have it listed as a project on that page or somewhere…  do we have a way to
raise the profile of these kinds of projects?  Relevant trackers:

http://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/1557/

http://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/1000/

-Paul