Re: Doc: NR: 3.x Clarification for \keepWithTag and fix Typo in example

From: pkx166h
Subject: Re: Doc: NR: 3.x Clarification for \keepWithTag and fix Typo in example (issue 279140043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 12:21:48 +0000

On 2016/02/27 12:10:57, dak wrote:
On 2016/02/27 11:22:56, pkx166h wrote:
> @David or Federico
>
> Could one or you (or some other kind soul) explain the comment from
David
> regarding his explanation of when (not) to use
>

> \fooTag A {a b c d}
> over
> \fooTag #'A {a b c d}
>
> and when (not) to use
>
> \fooTag A.B {a b c d}
> \fooTag #'(A B) {a b c d}
>
> I assume the reasons are the same, but David's explanation is a
little over my
> head.

I was pointing out that historically we have not bothered choosing tag
names
compatible with LilyPond names.  So if one wants to propose _not_
using #'... in
the documentation, one would need to go through the whole code base
and make
sure that it actually uses LilyPond-compatible tag names everywhere in
order not
to confuse people.

Thank you.

So, just to finish this off, the examples in the document use mainly
'A', 'B', 'C' etc. instead of 'real-world' strings (ViolinI, ViolinII
and so on). I'd like to put some real-world examples in there instead. I
assume that if I want to use labels with spaces in them (Violin I) I
could put them in 'quotes' ("Violin I")? I have had a (very) quick scan
through the NR and LM where we state limitations or rather requirements
of allowed 'string' syntax for things like this.

Instrument names jumps out

Staff.instrumentName = #"Piccolo"

I know this is not the same as using a  '\' command and I don't need
some explanation here, but I also can find

\cueDuring #"flute"

In essence if we used quotes in the examples for the \Tag commands
(assuming it is valid to do so) would that cover all the possible use
cases of how people could write out tag labels?

I hope that made sense.

James

https://codereview.appspot.com/279140043/