Re: Offer to help development: Convert MIDI to Lilypond

From: David Pirotte
Subject: Re: Offer to help development: Convert MIDI to Lilypond
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 18:58:45 -0200

Hello,

> On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 11:44:15AM -0500, Joseph Austin wrote:
> > I am offering to help with the project of converting midi2ly
> > from C to Python, or more generally converting MIDI to Lilypond.

Joseph, did you consider using Guile Scheme instead? One can argue about the
power,
flexibility ... Guile is just unbeatable :), it is used by lilypond itself, so
in the
end you'll be better prepared to help other lily devs (which I'm not) ... my 2c

I'm saying this because you mentioned earlier you do not know Python, which
means you are going to learn a new programming language, so, unless you have
other
criteria along the line, I strongly recommend Guile (and geiser, the emacs
inferior
mode that we all (guilers) use, which really rocks! and makes hacking just fun!

Cheers,
David

https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/
http://www.nongnu.org/geiser/

        you can ask quiz on irc
        channel #guile

This might be of interest as well, though I personally really don't like the
'none
parens' syntax, it is worth reading, no matter wha your choice is/will be...:

        http://www.draketo.de/proj/py2guile/