Re: Offer to help development: Convert MIDI to Lilypond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Offer to help development: Convert MIDI to Lilypond
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 22:13:50 +0100

David Pirotte <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
>> On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 11:44:15AM -0500, Joseph Austin wrote:
>> > I am offering to help with the project of converting midi2ly
>> > from C to Python, or more generally converting MIDI to Lilypond.
>
> Joseph, did you consider using Guile Scheme instead? One can argue
> about the power,
> flexibility ... Guile is just unbeatable :), it is used by lilypond
> itself, so in the
> end you'll be better prepared to help other lily devs (which I'm not)
> ... my 2c

I don't think we have any utilities written in Guile/Scheme.  So the
likelihood of him being able to be better prepared to help other lily
devs is more than dubious.

For better or worse, the use of Guile in LilyPond is very much
constricted to LilyPond proper (in the form of libguile) rather than
general programming.  I think there is not much other than
lilypond-invoke-editor.scm actually written as a utility program in
Guile.