Re: Offer to help development: Convert MIDI to Lilypond

From: karl
Subject: Re: Offer to help development: Convert MIDI to Lilypond
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 08:43:34 +0100 (CET)

Graham:
> On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 11:44:15AM -0500, Joseph Austin wrote:
> > I am offering to help with the project of converting midi2ly
> > from C to Python, or more generally converting MIDI to Lilypond.
>
> Excellent!  I'd be delighted to serve as your mentor.
>
> > I'm not sure if this is a good place for someone new to Lilypond
> > internals to start, but it seems this should be a relatively
> > independent utility so I shouldn't need a significant background
> > in the internals.
>
> That is correct; the python midi2ly conversion is quite
> independent of the rest of LilyPond.  As a result, it is an
> excellent place to begin!  :)

If you want it as an exercise, that's fine, but if you want a better
midi to lilypond converter you better start looking at what kind of
output you want since the output that midi2ly produces could be much
better than what it is today.

So I propose that a better course of action would be to research
. what kind of lilypond code output you want to produce
. the net for a suitable lowlevel midi lib
. the net for alternative converters that are presently availble

and let that steer your direction.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data