Re: [2.20] Issue 4943 Manual page breaking causing assertion failure usi

From: Chris Yate
Subject: Re: [2.20] Issue 4943 Manual page breaking causing assertion failure using Windows
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 11:55:10 +0000

On Fri, 6 Jan 2017 at 11:34 David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Assertions should not be used when LilyPond has a sane way to continue:
> for that case, programming errors are more appropriate.  The question is
> whether this is the case here: I think we are also dealing with bad
> output even when assertions are disabled: right?
>
> But as long as it is not _dangerous_ to continue (like using 0 pointers
> or uninitialized data), a programming error might be more suitable.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

David,

In this case it's hard to tell whether the output is bad, because I can't
get past the program termination. Though I would in general agree; and
moreover I wouldn't expect a 'Release' build to have assertions enabled.

But this is alerting us to something that **Should not happen** at runtime,
and ignoring that smells worse to me than having the assertion.

Chris