Re: [Issue #3947] fixing \huge et al.

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: [Issue #3947] fixing \huge et al.
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 16:28:58 -0400

Hi Carl,

> You have not yet tested your baseline-skip parameter with a different
> default-staff-size.  I think that you will probably need to include the
> default baseline-skip when determining the new baseline-skip.  Font sizes
> avoid this problem by using a scale parameter.  I don't know that it's
> possible to use a scale parameter for baseline-skip.

In my exchange with David K on -user, I asked why there are so many different
functions for font sizing… Now I see that the existing \fontsize automagically
adjusts both baseline-skip *and* word-space (which I hadn't even considered).

In light of that, doesn't it make sense to just redefine \huge et al. to call
\fontsize directly?
cf. snippet (below, with comment strings removed here)

Why would it not have been this way to begin with? Is there some side-effect
that I can't predict?

Thanks,
Kieren.

%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
\version "2.19.61"

#(define-markup-command (huge layout props arg)
  (markup?)
  #:category font
  (interpret-markup layout props
    (markup #:fontsize 2 arg)))

#(define-markup-command (teeny layout props arg)
  (markup?)
  #:category font
  (interpret-markup layout props
    (markup #:fontsize -3 arg)))

loremIpsum = \markup \wordwrap {
  Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit,
  sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
  Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco
  laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
  Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate
  velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur.
  Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident,
  sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
}

\markup \loremIpsum
\markup \vspace #2
\markup \huge \loremIpsum