Re: [Issue #3947] fixing \huge et al.

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: [Issue #3947] fixing \huge et al.
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 17:30:54 +0200

Hi Kieren,

Am 25.06.2017 um 17:11 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
Hi,

Another ten days has passed…

I guess I don't understand how the Lilypond development process works. I keep hearing we need people to jump in and learn how to develop/improve Lilypond. I took the initiative, found an issue I thought I could tackle, and offered a solution that appears to work with no unintended side-effects. I've now asked twice whether I should move towards a submittable patch, but have received no response in several weeks.

I think that no response means "yes, submit a patch" in this case.
If you checked your changes and did not find any negative effects,
then submitting a patch is the best way to go IMHO.

I will almost certainly require some hand-holding through the git process (n.b. I've already got LilyDev set up and running on my machine), which is one of the reasons I chose such a small bug as my first project. I guess I'll just push forward and try to get a patch submitted on my own, and come back to the list with any obstacles I hit during the git-ting process.

+1

I realize everybody's doing all of this essentially in their spare time… but perhaps there's a way that people like me — who are trying to get themselves up to speed so that they can contribute more on
the development side — could be guided/mentored a little more?
Otherwise it's a little discouraging, and thus probably not the
*best* plan towards increasing the developer pool.

Probably.

I imagine that your question slipped through ... there are only a few
active developers at the moment and some (partly emotional) discussions
that may cause other mails on the list to be forgotten/neglected.

I haven't committed anything for quite a while, but starting with a
small patch to get a grip on the git stuff and Patchy is probably the
best way to go. Writing patches can be frustrating sometimes, but nobody
in the list wants to discourage anybody.

The guidance/mentoring is great in principle, but it is way easier for developers to comment on "official" patches during the review process.

Cheers,
Marc