Re: True Hand-engraved Dashed Slurs

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: True Hand-engraved Dashed Slurs
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 13:15:29 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 8:38 AM, Carl Sorensen-3 [via Lilypond] <
address@hidden> wrote:

> On 6/26/17 4:53 PM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Abraham Lee"
> <lilypond-devel-bounces+c_sorensen=[hidden email]
> <http:///user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=204157&i=0> on behalf of
> [hidden email] <http:///user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=204157&i=1>>
> wrote:
>
> >Greetings, Devs!
> >
> >I have always wondered why dashed slurs look the way they do, especially
> >when compared to the Barenreiter snippets found in the essay. The current
> >dashes look better than they used to, but I still think they look a bit
> >odd
> >compared to the fairly uniform thickness of the hand-engraved Barenreiter
> >ones. Is there any historical reason they don't look that way? I'd be
> >curious to know if there is because I very much like the look of the
> >hand-engraved dashed slurs over the current LP dashed slurs.
>
> I think I'm to blame for the current slur dash code.  I think it is as it
> is because it makes half-dashed slurs look much better.

Ah, yes! That very much makes sense. How often are these split slurs used?
I personally have never had a reason to use them, but I guess they must be
used somewhere.

> >In any case, I'm wondering what the right way to go about changing them
> >look more like the Barenreiter ones is. I've cobbled together some PS
> code
> >that takes the Tie/Slur/PhrasingSlur control points and then generates a
> >separate stencil using those, but with a single dashed curve. This seems
> >work just fine, but I'm wondering if there's a better internal way of
> >getting the same dashed curve without resorting to pure PS code?
>

> It's very simple.  Just set the 'thickness property of the slur to 0; the
> 'thickness property of the slur defines the amount of expansion between
> the ends and middle of the slur.  The 'line-thickness property sets the
> thickness at the ends of the slur.
>
> \score{
>   {
> \slurDashPattern #0.7 #0.75
> c'4( e' g'2)
> \once \override Slur.thickness=0
> c'4( e' g'2)
>
> }}

Thanks for that! Oddly enough, David's comments also made me realize that
these settings were what I was after, particularly setting thickness=0. So,
thank you both! Any reason this set of settings shouldn't be the default
for \slurDashed? Or maybe a new one with a old-style reference could be
added to property-init.ly? The Barenreiter dashed slurs are (almost)
perfectly matched with the following settings (for an ideal dash length of
0.28 and gap of 0.2):

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% desired stencil (real dimensions):
%  - t, dash thickness = .16
%  - d, dash length = .28
%  - g, gap between dashes = .20
% therefore,
%  - line-thickness = t/(staff-line-thickness of 0.1) = 1.6
%  - dash-period = d+g = 0.48
%  - dash-fraction = (d-t)/(d+g) = (0.12)/(0.48) = 0.25

oldSlurDashed = {
  \override Slur.thickness = 0
  \override Slur.line-thickness = 1.6
  \override Slur.dash-definition = #((0 1 0.25 0.48))
}

Thanks, again!
- Abraham