Re: True Hand-engraved Dashed Slurs

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: True Hand-engraved Dashed Slurs
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 17:00:31 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 3:20 PM, Kieren MacMillan [via Lilypond] <
address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> >> Take my vote for having it as the default.
> > Excellent! At least that makes two of us ;-) (and Kieren, I believe).
>
> Yes.

Cool!

One thing I just noticed, upon closer inspection of using plain old Slur
overrides is that the dashes near the tips of the slurs or shorter than
those near the middle. This occurs because the stencil pieces are
parameterized with the time variable "t" internally. In other words,
because most slurs are longer horizontally than they are tall, the
progression of the time variable moves more slowly near the tips, resulting
in shorter segments there and more quickly in the middle, resulting in
longer segments there. I completely understand why it is parameterized this
way, but I'm not sure I like the output so much. Even the current default
dashed slurs suffer from this.

I'm now wondering (since it looks a little odd to me to have visibly
shorter segments on the ends than in the middle), if there's an economical
way to create the stencil so each segment has a more consistent length? If
you compare the PS dashed curves and the dashed slurs with my latest
settings, you will see that the PS curve is much better at making the
segments more equal in length.

Thoughts? You may be tempted to think that I'm being too nit-picky and
maybe I am, but I think the PS dashed curve looks better due to its
consistency. I've attached a PDF that shows all three kinds of dashed
slurs, the current default, the better one using Slur Overrides, and the
ideal one with PS code.

- Abraham

old-style-dashed-slur.pdf (106K)
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/attachment/204177/0/old-style-dashed-slur.pdf>