Re: True Hand-engraved Dashed Slurs

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: True Hand-engraved Dashed Slurs
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 22:48:50 +0200

Hi,

Am 27.06.2017 um 22:34 schrieb tisimst:
> Take my vote for having it as the default.

It is just my gut feeling and nothing I could prove, but I see (at
least) two use cases for dotted slurs:

1. The current default looks like what I would prefer for "optional
slurs". I.e. in songs with two different distributions of syllables in
the verses, one verse has two notes with two syllabels and the other
verse combines them into one note with a slur.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/techniques-specific-to-lyrics#divisi-lyrics

Here I would like the thickness to change as it would in a normal slur.

2. If it is more a annotation/editorial slur, your constant thickness
variant looks more appropriate to me.

Do you see some reason for this feeling or did I just happen to see
these use cases once or twice like that way?

Best,
Joram