Re: Installing URW++ fonts, issue 4998: why not add wget lines to lilyde

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Installing URW++ fonts, issue 4998: why not add wget lines to lilydev-setup.sh?
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2017 23:27:56 +0000

On 10/4/17 4:06 PM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Karlin High"
<address@hidden on behalf of
address@hidden> wrote:

>https://codereview.appspot.com/315850043/
>https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/4998/
>
>I found this issue with the fonts while reading the LilyDev
>instructions on GitHub. To me, it looks like the easiest way to
>resolve it would be adding some WGET commands to the
>~/.lilydev-setup.sh script, right after the git clone operations that
>are already assuming an Internet connection. Then the fonts would be
>available from the beginning, and perhaps no special documentation
>would be needed. I'm attaching a proposed script for this idea. (No
>master of BASH here; could be doing it wrong.)

I haven't pulled out all the fonts yet to see how big they are, but I'm
uncomfortable with referencing a blob in a given commit on the repo.

I'd be happier if it were referencing a blob in master.

If it's not too big, I'd be even happier if we could just do a shallow
clone of the git repo, so the command would never need to change. And we
would used git to manage the download, which is what we were using
previously.

Having said all that, I'm fine with what you propose, if none of my other
ideas are workable.

Oh, and by the way, I'm not sure how to handle this, since strictly
speaking LilyDev is a separate product from LilyPond, and we don't host
LilyDev as part of the LilyPond repository.  So somehow this patch needs
to be coordinated with Federico, rather than using the standard LilyPond
patch sequence.

Thanks,

Carl