forcing hshift

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: forcing hshift
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 10:00:54 +0000

In order to typeset a staff in two parts I used force hshift
to move a dotted half to the left more than a notehead's
width.  As a consequence, the ps file won't make pdf with
ps2pdf.  I don't think of this as a bug, I think it would
be better to turn off the collision code so that I could
shift the notehead less, and so that the notehead would
not be shifted twice.  I have done it in the past by
having a third voice on the staff, which is not very
elegant if the part is not musically necessary.

Q. Is there a way of turning off default
horizontal collision avoidance for one note?
I want to make

*o.

these go ahead and collide so that they are not shifted
twice.
If this does not solve the problem there is a
nasty bug.
If it is at all difficult, I can always use an
invisible rest in a third part.  (not a "spacer" rest,
it does timing only, and has no effect on spacing)

Q. for *all*.  Any feedback on sly yet?  If you have a large
project and you use linux you will wonder how you finished
anything without it.  Even doing a single staff with one
voice, it's nice to have the line in the editor correspond
with the measure.  It is really sweet to be able to copy
any number of measures in any number of parts in one simple
operation.  It's also nice to be able to insert the
necessary number of silent rests before comments over a range of
measures without having to count the measures or
erase anything.  It's nice to be able to insert a
command before and a different command after a note with a
single word of your choice.  It's nice to have every
.ly file a template.  It's nice to be able to feed a
numerical value to a lilypond macro so you can
shorten it: \fh1.0 \fh-1.3 etc.

Sly is for lilypond users.   It is so simple that
there is not much fine tuning to be done, and as I said
before, it's more an idea than a program.

It's all in sly.txt, in your trash directory.

Information is not knowledge.           Belief is not truth.
Indoctrination is not teaching.   Tradition is not evidence.
         David Raleigh Arnold   address@hidden