Re[2]: extra-offset and finger changes

From: Jérémie Lumbroso
Subject: Re[2]: extra-offset and finger changes
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 00:26:46 +0100

>>       \property Voice.Fingering \set #'extra-offset = #'(0 . -1.8)
>>       g'4-1                   % This fingering gets moved down
>>       g'4-#'(finger "1-5")    % But this one doesn't move at all

As Graham explained, those are two different objects, treated
differently. Appending a number [to a note] creates a Fingering
object, which is affected by the previous property change. Any
expression starting by # is a Scheme expression. In this case, it is
translated into text (with a special font). So these two:

     g'4-#'(finger "1-5")
     g'4-"Some text"

Create the same object type, namely a TextScript object. To change the
vertical spacing of that object, you'd want to use it's padding
property:

     \property Voice.TextScript \override #'padding = #3

MA> Siloti's piano arrangement of a Bach Organ Prelude in G Minor
MA> (copyright 1924). I put a scanned image of the first page of the
MA> original here:

First of all, I personally wouldn't advice taking that edition as a
model, unless you have personal attachment to it.

MA> * The clef in the upper staff changes from treble to bass before the
MA>   first notes.

The purpose of this is very obscure -- to me at least -- and the odds
of somebody wanting to do this nowadays is very weak. Transcribing a
piece, unless it is of the hand of the composer -- and even then --,
also means objectively baring out inconsistencies. However, if you
choose to do this anyway, perhaps the following would work

       \clef "treble" s1*0 \clef "bass" g,16 d, b,, d, r [...]

MA> * There is a tied chord in a smaller note font, and a footnote reading
MA>   "Depress these notes silently".

You might want to put those notes on a different layer Voice, to which
you'll have reduced the size font.

The font size change is explained at:
http://www.lilypond.org/stable/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Font-selection.html
You might consider opening the `input/test/cue-notes.ly' file to see
how it's done. A basic explanation is to use the following expression:

... where you can also replace `Voice' by `Staff' or `Thread'
according to your needs. The number (preceded by a sharp --> Scheme
expression) is the relative font size (ie.: 0 for normal, -1 for a bit
smaller, etc.)

You might also want to shift the notes slightly. This can be done
using the shift properties, but I would rather do it using the
spacers, or silent rests. Something like this:

       \context Voice = smallNotes \notes {
                \property Voice.fontSize = #1
                s1*1/5 <g1 e f>*4/5
       }

       \context Voice = normalNotes \notes {
                <f1 d1 a>
       }

       bothVoices = \notes < \smallNotes \normalNotes >

I hope this helps.

--
Best regards,
 Jérémie                            mailto:address@hidden