Re: creating a context??

From: David Boersma
Subject: Re: creating a context??
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:51:57 +0200 (CEST)

On 17 Jul 2003, Aaron wrote:

> Well \relative in practice doesn't save me much time because a fourth
> with out ' or , is not enough and I can't seem to use \relative for the
> whole song. (could be I just don't know how)
>
> but even then I must fine tune the octave which takes me as much time as
> if I entered the , 's in the first place.
>
> Additionally I am only type setting monphonic songs with no
> accompaiment. Most of these songs ranges are within an octave.
>
> e' f' g' a' b' c'' d'' and sometimes the b below.
>
> simply put a fourth isn't enough for me.

I suspect a slight misunderstanding of what \relative does. When you have
a line

\relative d' { e f g a b c d b, }

then each un-accented note is chosen within a fourth of the immediately
preceding note. So in the example the a is chosen relative to the
preceding g. From your description I gather that you think that all the
notes are chosen relative to the reference note, d' in the example. That
is NOT the case.  The reference note is only there because the first note
(e in the example) does not have a preceding note. The given example is
equivalent to these absolute notes:

e' f' g' a' b' c'' d'' b

Cheers,
David