Re: Lilypond not creating .pdf file

From: Lyle Raymond
Subject: Re: Lilypond not creating .pdf file
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 01:02:44 -0600

On Saturday 20 March 2004 9:51 am, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> On Saturday 20 March 2004 03:21, Lyle Raymond wrote:
> > I've discovered that while in one directory, "lilypond <file.ly>"
> > automatically creates a pdf file; but while in another, it only
> > creates a latex file and doesn't go any further.  What's happening?
> >
> > I'm using version 2.1.0, by the way.
>
> This is just a guess, but you're not giving much.  :-)

Here's a little more:

All of my LP files are stored in ~/Documents/Lilypond.  In that directory,
there is a subdirectory for each piece I work on.  My current piece, Four
Brief Statements for Solo Guitar, is thus contained in the directory:
~/Documents/Lilypond/Statements, and contains st1.ly.  This is only the
second piece I've begun working on w/ LP.  The first piece worked fine;  all
invocations of lilypond produced a .dvi and .pdf file.  But while working on
Statements, LP only spits out a latex file.  What has changed?

> Do you have any of your output in a separate directory?  If so,
> it might be safer to use an output directory above the current,
> by using ./out/ or something like that, rather than using a
> fixed directory like /temp/out or something like that.

If you are suggesting that there is a default directory for output, I'd love
to find out how to set it.