Re: Verses with Different Rhythms

From: Edward Sanford Sutton, III
Subject: Re: Verses with Different Rhythms
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:29:48 -0700

On Monday April 19 2004 07:16, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> It seems that you use version 2.2, which includes new support
> for exactly this situation with different number of syllables
> in different verses, using the ignoreMelismata property.
> See
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.2/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/The-Lyrics
>-context.html#The%20Lyrics%20context and the referenced example.
>
> Regarding the dashed slurs, it seems this feature has never been
> implemented for Ties, only for slurs. For some strange reason, the
> \tieDotted macro is predefined anyway. I'll post a bug report.
>
>     /Mats

  A piece I am typesetting had a similar issue I ran into. The notes were
equivalent to  << { c4 } \\ { c8 c } >>  or whatever the polyphony notation
is; lyrics just skipped the polyphony attempts anyways. Stanza 1 was the
hyphenated lyric and stanza 2 had a single word. The typesetting also had all
lyrical notes unbeamed.
  After talking to people and putting thought into it, I planned to change it
to something like  c8( c)  as the other seemed wrong and I couldn't figure
out how to properly implement it in lilypond; \melisma and \melismaEnd should
do it and I cant remember if it didn't work or I couldn't figure out to do
that. I also plan to change it to beamed vocal notes.