Re: Creating markup macros (functions actually)

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: Creating markup macros (functions actually)
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 22:26:44 +0100

Paul Scott <address@hidden> writes:

>>(lambda ...) evaluates to a function,
>>
> That I understand.
>
>> where you want a markup.
>>
> That I don't yet.  Another look at new-markup-scm tells me a markup is
> a list?

Yes, and a list is not the same thing as a function. The fact that a
markup expression is a list is actually an implementation detail that
you should not bother about.

> address@hidden:~/music/test$ lilypond-snapshot displayscheme.ly
> GNU LilyPond 2.4.2
> Processing `displayscheme.ly'
> Parsing...
> Backtrace:
> In unknown file:
>    ?: 0* [primitive-load "music-display.scm"]
>
> <unnamed port>: In procedure open-file in expression (primitive-load name):
> <unnamed port>: No such file or directory: "music-display.scm"

Create that music-display.scm file, in the same directory as
displayscheme.ly, with the code from
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2004-11/msg00029.html

>>==>
>>(make-music 'SequentialMusic
>>  'elements (list
>>             (make-music 'MultiMeasureRestMusicGroup
>>               'elements (list
>>                          (make-music 'BarCheck)
>>                          (make-music 'EventChord
>>                            'elements (list
>>                                       (make-music 'MultiMeasureRestEvent
>>                                         'duration (ly:make-duration 0 0 1
>> 1))))
>>                          (make-music 'BarCheck)
>>                          (make-music 'TextScriptEvent
>>                            'direction 1
>>                            'text (list
>>                                       number-markup
>>                                       (markup #:simple "1")))))))
>>

> That will help a lot.

Yes, always start with that.

> This is beginning to make sense but I still have a way to go.

Ok, new-markups.scm is not the right place to look at actually, better
read scm/define-markup-commands.scm, for inspiration.
Also look at ly/music-functions-init.ly

> Thanks so much for all your help and patience.

You're welcome!

> I have been programming for many years in many languages but have
> only looked at scheme and lisp recently.

a cultural shock indeed :)

nicolas