Re: betweensystemspace

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: betweensystemspace
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:22:29 -0500

On Tuesday 28 December 2004 02:21 pm, Karl Hammar wrote:
> address@hidden:
> > I ran lyinclude on A.ly, uncommented the betweensystemspace and
> > betweensystempadding lines, removed the lyrics and found that it
> > was indeed possible to squeeze the staves together.  Choirstaves
> > anyway.  I still don't know what I was doing wrong, but it doesn't
> > matter, does it?
> >
> > Using slyce you could have put that whole thing into two files, and
> > still been able to compile each piece separately.  Take a look at an
> > ly source at http://www.openguitar.com/instruction.html. daveA
>
> I don't understand why slyce or lyinclude would be of any help.
> Why don't just use \include in your lilyond source.
> The difference as I understand it, is like the difference to work with
> one or multiple files containing exactly the same source lines.
> There is no added functionality as I understand it.

You saved typing by having includes to shorten separate files.  You could have
saved more typing by having all the notes of all the pieces in the same file
so you wouldn't need to use includes to type things once.  If you are using
an include to type something once, you are including it in something else that
you are typing more than once.

http://www.openguitar.com/files/allCscales.ly

When slyce is run on it, you get 12 files, "a.ly" etc,, all using the same
score block and head boilerplate, all with different notes or whatever.
You put in the middle what the files to be produced *don't* have in common.

If you have a lot of pieces with a lot in common, which tends to be the
case with a lilypond-book document, it's a big help, especially with
what I'm doing right now.  I have two more docs done in a similar way:

http://www.openguitar.com/instruction.html

You can change betweensystemspace or forget accidentals or whatever in all
files at once, even when you're finished.  Everything's right there.  You
don't have to hunt it down.

I only used lyinclude on your stuff so I could quickly see an example complete
in one file.  daveA