Re: New glyph, language.ly (from: notation for pitch bends and drops)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: New glyph, language.ly (from: notation for pitch bends and drops)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 23:56:48 +0100 (CET)

> How do I design and implement my own quarter rest?  I want it for
> guitar and banjo music only, and that only when there are more than
> two parts on one stave, because otherwise it could conceivably be
> played by another instrument.  There will be scores with both kinds
> of rests, never on the same staff though.  The "classical" rest can
> be used that way?
>
> The s or z rest is similar to the 'classical' rest, except it has
> two lobes instead of one.  Among right-thinking engravers ;-) it
> replaced the 'classical' rest at about 1808.

I think I know what you want to have -- a kind of `z' quarter rest is
used in old French scores also; its shape is based on the eigth rest,
with a mirrored bulb at the bottom.

> No problem with the design part, there are plenty of examples, and I
> have designed alphabets before, but not on a computer.  What is the
> first step in putting it into the machine?  The second?

The first step is that you send us an image which shows the glyph at a
big size with good resolution.  In case it can be easily derived from
the symbols we already have it should be straightforward to add it to
the feta font.

Just to get a feeling how feta glyphs are constructed: Say

  mf '\mode:=proof; input feta20'
  gftodvi feta20.2602gf

then view the resulting feta20.dvi with a DVI viewer and compare it
with the glyph code in the corresponding MF source files
(e.g. feta-schrift.mf).

    Werner