Re: epsfile include question

From: Henrik Frisk
Subject: Re: epsfile include question
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:34:47 +0200

address@hidden wrote:

> Henrik Frisk wrote:
>
> > 1. Is it not possible to move the eps
> > graphic? I have tried \raise without success.
>
> > . . . I have tried a number of commands
> > apart from \raise . . .
>
> >   \markup { \translate #(cons 2 5) \epsfile #"eps/nssffff.eps" }
>
> In the LilyPond 2.6.0 manual, section 8.1.7 says that \raise, \lower,
> and \translate cannot be used to displace entire scripts.  But then in
> section 11.2.3 (around the middle of that section), there is an
> explanation of a trick to get around that limitation:  writing
>
>    \markup { ""  \translate #'(2.0  .  5.0) "foo bar" }
>
> would place the empty string ("") where Lily wants it, but then the
> string "foo bar" would be placed 2 units to the right of, and 5 units
> above, that empty string, so that in effect "foo bar" would wind up
> being placed where you wanted it.  On that basis, it would be worth
> trying
>
>   \markup { ""  \translate #'(2.0  .  5.0) \epsfile #"eps/nssffff.eps" }
>
> to see if that gives you the displacement you want.
>
> -- Tom

Well, after some fiddling around with this, this is how it works in the score I
am currently working on with LilyPond 2.7.7 on OSX.

\markup { ""  \translate #'(2.0  .  5.0) "foo bar" } => no effect
\markup { " "  \translate #'(2.0  .  5.0) "foo bar" } => displaced as intended

In both cases the single white space string can be replaced by \hspace #0.0 .
Same goes for \raise

This is what Mats pointed out in his reply, and I think that the example in
11.2.3, that I used as reference, this should be changed. I assume the same is
true if you define it as a scheme macro in which case this example from 11.2.3
will not work as intended (haven't tried it...):

#(def-markup-command (character layout props name) (string?)
  "Print the character name in small caps, translated to the left and
  top.  Syntax: \\character #\"name\""
  (interpret-markup layout props
   (markup "" #:translate (cons -3 1) #:smallcaps name)))

Thank you all for the help.

/henrik