Re: Curly '

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Curly '
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 01:43:24 +0100

[problem: cut & pasting TeX's apostrophe yields quoteright code point]

Graham Percival wrote:
That curly quote symbol was copied, using the copy function, from section 7.1.5 of the PDF version of the User Manual where I note other instances of the same sort. Had I typed the string I wouldn't have had the problem as I don't have that character on my keyboard. But, it's handy to snip bits from the manual. Can that be corrected?

Short answer: yes.

Medium answer: I don't know how.

Long answer: some people have investigated this; if you're interested, search the mailist. I don't know enough about how lilypond builds documentation, and/or latex, and/or texinfo, to fix it. A patch to fix this would be __greatly__ appreciated.

I'm not sure if it is something we can fix on the (La)TeX side of things. The TeX fonts don't contain an apostrophe (quotesingle) symbol at all. I'm not familiar with cut & paste for PDF, but if that works by cut & pasting the glyph names/code points for the glyphs shown, then we're screwed. Then we would have to hack texinfo

1. to use a different font containing singlequote

2. to select the singlequote glyph for ' in verbatim mode.

(I shudder at the thought of hacking in TeX macros)

Werner?