Re: Lyrics and figured bass positioning

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: Lyrics and figured bass positioning
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 20:07:43 +0100

On Sunday 29 January 2006 15.09, Gilles wrote:
> > In the attached file, I want to stack two "PianoStaff" (each with their
> > own lyrics and figured bass lines). [See attached pdf.]
> > But I can't figure out why the lyrics and figures intended for the first
> > piano (setup in lines 58-59) come *after* the second piano. [And if I add
> > those to the second piano I get 4 lines below the second piano.]
> >
> > I'm probably missing something obvious :-{
>
> Answering to myself, but still I'd appreciate to read the rationale for
> the alternative behaviour:  The "workaround" is to move the "\lirycsto"
> and "\new FiguredBass" from the simultaneous grouping with the "Basse"
> voice over to the simultaneous grouping with the "\upper" and "\lower"
> variables.

That's because the two staffs are created first, lilypond needs to interpret
pretty much before realising that a new lyrics/figuredbass context needs to
be created. For this reason, the second staff is already created when the
lyrics is created, and the latest created child context is the one typeset
farthest down.

(this has to do with the fact that lilypond creates some contexts _before_
iterating music, I don't really know why this is done.)

--
Erik