Re: Lilypond store?

From: Stewart Holmes
Subject: Re: Lilypond store?
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 16:57:31 +0100

I suggest that you start a discussion thread on mutopia's mailing lists: If
you have constructive ideas on how to create an archive of high-quality
public domain notes, then I would strongly recommend you to use your ideas to improve mutopia; if that's not possible, use mutopia as a base for creating
such an archive (i.e., fork the mutopia project).

Unfortunately I don't really have constructive ideas how to improve it; now there's a fairly large volume of work on there, it becomes quite a large task to tidy the whole lot up. I propose to start from scratch, and only accept scores of a high quality. Additionally, people will be more motivated to do so, due to a potential return on their investment of time.

Now I know that Lilypond is Open Source, and a very fine piece of software at that, as are many other open source projects. But I believe that there comes a point when the quality of open source becomes hard to regulate, especially when everything is free. Take the example of Lilypond and sponsorship; people are asked to help pay the costs towards development... which, in my opinion, helps to keep the quality high.

Phew, that was a bit rambly,
Stewart