Re: Page breaker question: obeying explicit \breaks

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Page breaker question: obeying explicit \breaks
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:45:22 +0200

On 11/29/06, Anthony W. Youngman <address@hidden> wrote:
The stuff I do is pretty much all setting parts. But I'd also like to
combine those parts into scores. And, while I don't know how the new
page breaking handles it, I have come across plenty of parts that have a
page turn in the middle of a phrase ... (and often a rest close by!!!).
So you need to break different parts in different places. If your score
then applies all of those breaks ...

Yep - I think it's a very good idea moving explicit breaks out of the
voice context. Question is, can it be done easily? And if so, how?

The way I do it is to have (in i-violin1.ly)
violinIFirstMov = {music}
violinIFirstMovBreaks = {s1*whatever \break s1*somethingElse \break}

Then in violin1.ly
\score {
  << \violinIFirstMov \violinIFirstMovBreaks >>
}
<other movements>

In score.ly, I just leave out all the xxxBreaks variables (I have never had the need for explicit breaks in a score, but if you do, you can always add another variable for that). Alternatively you could try using \tag, but that still requires you to make the music messy with manual breaking information. The manual counting of the spacer rests is a bit tedious, but apart from that it works well. (If you use the new page-turn-page-breaking algorithm in the parts, it cuts down hugely on the number of manual breaks you need).

Joe