Re: Wikis [was: Re: Tutorial]

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Wikis [was: Re: Tutorial]
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 03:30:33 -0800

Valentin Villenave wrote:
2006/12/5, John Mandereau <address@hidden>:
It's easy to start a new wiki, a new documentation, a new whatever, but
it's much harder to develop it on a long timescale.

As for me, I find wiki-based doc are a LOT easier for everyone to
contribute, improve, propose,

For the lilypond docs, see
http://lilypond.org/web/devel/participating/documentation-adding

translate, and -most off all- gain easy
and immediate access to every information they need. I've been
spending hours, literally, using Google's "site search" function to
look for some specific answers in Lily's current doc.

Two things spring to mind:
1) A wiki that had as much information as the lilypond doc would be just as hard to search. 2) What info was so hard to find? Can you think of any way to improve the lilypond docs? (missing terms in the index, perhaps?)

> There is no need to blame
> newly-arrived users who want to help, no matter how unconvenient their
> ideas can be.

This is mostly my fault. About a year ago we were having huge discussions about the documentation, and I suddenly realized that I was spending more time _talking_ about the documentation than I was spending actually _working_ on the docs. I then suggested to everybody that we should spend more time writing documentation and less time discussing vague ideas.

Once again, nobody's trying to do as if nobody hasn't been doing
anything here for ten years. So maybe a "Welcome on board, here's the
todo-list" would be more appreciated than the way you take it John...

Here's a few items from my TODO list; please let me know if you're interested in any of them. If you're interested in helping but not in these specific things, by all means we can find something else to work on.

- create example for automatic accidental examples
- add avoid-slur settings to everything in scm/script.scm
- redo section 2.1 to be WYSIWYG  ("what you see is what you get")

Cheers,
- Graham Percival, Documentation Editor