Re: How to deal with Time Signatures horizontal alignment?

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: How to deal with Time Signatures horizontal alignment?
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 08:05:45 +1000

On Wednesday 22 August 2007 21:30, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> 2007/8/22, Joe Neeman <address@hidden>:
> > No, because TimeSignature already accepts an interface
> > (break-aligned-interface) that determines its horizontal position; it
> > wouldn't make sense for it to accept another one. The cleanest way of
> > getting this functionality into the lilypond core, in my opinion, would
> > be to create a whole new grob class.
>
> Thank you for your explanations; I'm not yet completely familiar with
> all this stuff, but I'm getting closer.
>
> Is it silly to suggest that maybe the break-aligned-interface itself
> could accept some reference symbols?

The objects with break-aligned-interface can't accept reference symbols
because they _are_ the reference symbols.

> Besides, can you explain why, in
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond-internals-big-pag
>e#break_002daligned_002dinterface the "user settable properties" mentions
> the "old"
> break-align-symbol (symbol)
> syntax, and how it could (or couldn't) be used to align such grobs as
> TimeSignatures, which depends on break-aligned-interface?

Yes, this double use of break-align-symbol is a little confusing. In the
break-aligned-interface, break-align-symbol is for naming the reference
point. That is, a TimeSignature has break-align-symbol set to 'time-sig.
Then, if a RehearsalMark has break-align-symbols set to '(time-sig), it will
align itself on the TimeSignature.

Cheers,
Joe