Re: Hara_kiri_engraver shouldn't handle both staves of a PianoStaff as s

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Hara_kiri_engraver shouldn't handle both staves of a PianoStaff as separate single staves
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 18:28:35 +0200

2007/8/27, Tao Cumplido <address@hidden>:

> I guess in classical music it's typical not to reduce the piano part to a
> single staff, but in modern music it is.

It depends: do you mean in *well-engraved* modern music? :)
(no, I'm just joking)

> For example in Jazz scores if you have only a chord progression with nothing
> specific to play a single staff is sufficient for the pianist.
> Or if you write for bands who play latin american music, the piano player
> often doubles the right hand with the left hand an octave lower.
> A latin pianist knows that and therefore needs only a single staff.

Yes, I saw such scores, but this is only (AFAIK) for a pattern, a
riff, or a montuno, anything very repetitive. I don't remember having
seen one single staff on a page, then two staves on the next page,
then one single again, etc. So I think this is more about regularity.

> When I write scores I try to reduce as much as possible, sometimes I even
> write both hands in one staff as long it is readable.
> This is not so much for the entire score but for the individual part later.
> Especially the piano part gets usually twice as much sheets as a wind player
> for example.

Yeah, we all are great paper-wasters :)

> Well, I guess everyone has an own way to do it, so I also agree that both
> options should be available.

It seems that we all agree on that. If nobody has anything to add,
I'll file a bug report, more as an "Enhancement" than a "Defect",
suggesting to implement Kieren's keepAliveTogether property. Any
comments?

Regards,
Valentin