Re: Hara_kiri_engraver shouldn't handle both staves of a PianoStaff as s

From: Tao Cumplido
Subject: Re: Hara_kiri_engraver shouldn't handle both staves of a PianoStaff as separate single staves
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:02:20 +0200

I think it works fine as it is right now.
I guess in classical music it's typical not to reduce the piano part to a
single staff, but in modern music it is.
For example in Jazz scores if you have only a chord progression with nothing
specific to play a single staff is sufficient for the pianist.
Or if you write for bands who play latin american music, the piano player often
doubles the right hand with the left hand an octave lower.
A latin pianist knows that and therefore needs only a single staff.

When I write scores I try to reduce as much as possible, sometimes I even write
both hands in one staff as long it is readable.
This is not so much for the entire score but for the individual part later.
Especially the piano part gets usually twice as much sheets as a wind player
for example.

Well, I guess everyone has an own way to do it, so I also agree that both
options should be available.

regards,

Tao

-------- Original-Nachricht --------