Re: tuplets other than standard 8th into quarter note

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: tuplets other than standard 8th into quarter note
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 12:12:48 +0100

It's fairly simple math. For example, a standard triplet with eight notes, you want 3 of the triplet eight notes to have the same duration as 2 normal eight notes, i.e.
each note should be 2/3 its normal duration.
For the example you mention, you want 3 triplet 16th notes to have the same duration
as 2 normal 16th notes, so again the scaling is 2/3, i.e.
\times 2/3 {e16 f g}

David Fedoruk wrote:
Hello:

I don't understand how the triplet durations work mathematically. The
examples are all standard 3  8th notes into 1 quarter. These are all
whole numbers. What happens when you need triplet 16th notes into half
a beat in a 2/4 time signature? There are about 50 bars of them so I
can't do this as a one of exception.

While I'm asking questions, how is a single voice notation done
between staves in a piano score? Does the notation have to be two
voiced although the score will not indicate rests for one hand while
the other is playing.? I've looked at the documentation for staff
switching, but it seems to be useful in singular situations. I don't
think I can leave this to auto staff changes .... if what I'm doing is
considered staff changes.

I need to understand what I'm attempting before trying something which
may be doomed to failure.
Just try some small examples first to learn how it works. You have to setup both staves. If you don't want any rests printed, you can fill these with spacer notes, for example something like s1*16. If the automatic staff switching doesn't work
in your situation, you can use manual staff switching instead.

   /Mats