Re: A question on "##t"

From: Bertalan Fodor
Subject: Re: A question on "##t"
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 23:22:15 +0100

Well, it is quite easy to answer if you know a bit scheme.

Scheme has a very very simple syntax, only 2 kinds of elements
- literals, ie. Words, numbers and quotations (quotation is something that
begins with a ' sign.)
- expressions aka operations, which always begin and end with parentheses, like
(something done (here)).

There is nothing like something = anything, the assignment expression also
follows the same rule.
So you would use sg like (set! 'merge-differently-headed #t). However, setting
it using the correct context etc. perhaps would render into a quite complicated
Scheme statement. So LilyPond uses a mixed syntax.
And thus the scope of the # sign is one literal or one expression, simply you
can think of it as that when there is no parentheses, it will be in Scheme mode
until the next space character.

Bert