Re: specific temperament and pitch

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: specific temperament and pitch
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 22:07:00 +0100

On 10 Feb 2008, at 21:25, neuro wrote:

 but rather a MIDI-to-sound problem.

Yes. That's Right.

Actually, there are two different problems: Some music makes use of more than 12 pitches per octave, and then it is good to get LilyPOnd write it directly.

That's actually what I was asking.

How can we make lilypond's midi file play in different tuning systems, in different pitchs, and/or in a flexible way, (e.g. when I would like all the major 3rds of every major chord in a piece -- so it's not a fixed certain notes, but rather, a condition for certain notes -- to be played "just intonation" or otherwise tuned.) (Before my final decision of how the pitches should be tuned or played, so to be heard.)

This can be used in Timidity using the -Z option on a tuning file:
  timidity -Z <tuning> <midi>

Such files can be created using Scala (see below).

Actually, I was trying to convince my ears first that,
"the major 3rds of every major chord in a tonic piece should be played a little bit lower -- as 'just intonation' tuned, rather than 12-equal temperamented," and hoping Lilypond's midi could play that way.

Try 53-ET and 31-ET in say Scala (see below). In 53-ET, the Pythagorean tuning the major scale is
  9 9 4 9 9 9 4
and the Just major is
  9 8 5 9 8 9 5
So it is easy to compare. 31-ET plays the interval 5/4 very exactly. See
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/31_equal_temperament
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/53_equal_temperament

So, it it possible?
If so, how?