Re: English Translation

From: David R. Linn
Subject: Re: English Translation
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:59:12 -0500

David Stocker wrote:
Hi Bert,

It's been a few years and I'm afraid my German has gotten rusty, but I'll give it a try anyway.

"- how would you call the 4-voice arrangements of hymns used in presbiterian liturgy. Just "hymn arrangement"? (Choralsatz in German)"

I'm an Amercian raised in a Presbyterian church and have sung in its
choirs for more than 35 years so I might be able to offer some addtional
ideas.  Sadly it's been years since I could do more than read German
(and not that very well)

The common English rendering is simply "Chorale" or "Hymn" In the contemporary American print market, we often refer to these by an acronym representing the parts they contain--SATB (for _S_oprano, _A_lto, _T_enor and _B_ass.) Within the catalog, there are many instances of "ATB" and "SA" or other combinations.

Sometimes also called simply "in four-part harmony".  I'd simply use
"hymn" or "four-part hymn"

"- what is a good way for translating the German "inständiges flehen", meaning something like pleading, devoted praying"
/
earnestly, earnest pleading,/

You might also try "earnest supplication".  The word "supplication" is
not a common word in modern American English but you find it in many
church (specificly church *choir*) songs.

"- what is a good way of translating the German "ewig reicher Gott", meaning something like God, who has power forever. (perhaps a common English version already exists for this song)"

/God everlasting, God ever powerful /

I don't think I can help with this one - going strictly from the words
I would have said "ever more abundant God" but that is pretty far from
your proposed meaning.  I checked with a friend with other resources to
check and he was unable to identify a common English rendering of this
phrase.