Re: English Translation

From: fiëé visuëlle
Subject: Re: English Translation
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:03:14 +0200

Am 2008-04-11 um 20:59 schrieb David R. Linn:
"- what is a good way of translating the German "ewig reicher Gott", meaning something like God, who has power forever. (perhaps a common English version already exists for this song)"
/God everlasting, God ever powerful /

I don't think I can help with this one - going strictly from the words
I would have said "ever more abundant God" but that is pretty far from
your proposed meaning. I checked with a friend with other resources to
check and he was unable to identify a common English rendering of this
phrase.

The meaning of "reich" in this example is extremely uncommon in (modern) German. I *guess* it refers to the old stem of "-rich" (like in names) that means "ruler", similar to "Reich" (empire, see "dein Reich komme" in German paternoster). So the suggestion "God ever powerful" seems an adequate translation to me.

Greetlings from Lake Constance
---
fiëé visuëlle
Henning Hraban Ramm