Re: GDP: end singleton lists with a period?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GDP: end singleton lists with a period?
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 01:20:32 -0700

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:40:47 +0200
"Valentin Villenave" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2008/4/18 James E. Bailey <address@hidden>:
>
> >  ___ Normally without a period, because it isn't a complete
> > sentence.
>
> That's interesting: in French, as in most latin-derived languages,
> such "noun sentences" are actually regarded as complete sentences (and
> are very commonly used in literature); however it seems that the
> English deeply differs on that.

Maybe I've been unduly influenced by my French immersion
elementary school... to me, this
  Notation Reference: Pitches, Durations, Expressive
is crying out for a period at the end.

However, omitting periods entirely from the @seealso section would
make things much easier to write and maintain... so if the true
English grammar nuts[1] think that omitting a period is actually
correct grammar as well, the answer seems pretty clear.  :)

[1]  I'm using "nuts" in the politest possible sense.

Ok, no periods.  I've updated the policy, and if nobody does it before
me, I'll strip the current periods from such lists.  I'm pretty sure I
can figure out a regex to do it all automatically...

Cheers,
- Graham