Re: Fingering between notehead and beam?

From: Papa Eric
Subject: Re: Fingering between notehead and beam?
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 22:04:50 +0200

Yes, this I what I was looking for, thanks a lot! Too bad it does not seem to work with overriding Fingering #'direction. Can anybody explain why?

(All I can try: from the reference I guess single note fingerings are drawn by Fingering_engraver and chord ones by New_fingering_engraver, both held by Voice context. Does the Fingering_engraver ignore staff-padding?)

Using chords in your solution would annoy me because I was happy setting fingeringOrientations = #'(left) for chords and keeping up/down for lonely notes, and using single-note chords to sometimes place fingering left instead of \once \overriding the direction.

BTW, your example helped me understand the behaviour of the add-stem-support property: if true, fingerings will be at constant Y offset from the staff. (I thought it worked for StrungNumber and not Fingering only because my test notes were at different heights and I misinterpreted the results.)

Jonathan Kulp a écrit :
I think this might be close to what you're looking for. I've been tinkering and finally hit upon a way to get both the staff padding and the \set orientation to work. You have to put the note inside a chord construct. Be sure to put the rhythm indication *outside* the <> though, or else you get errors.

\relative c'' {
   \override Fingering #'staff-padding = #'()
   \set fingeringOrientations = #'(down)
  <c-1>8 <d-3> <e-0> <fis-2>
}

Crossing fingers!