Re: autobeams

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: autobeams
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 23:50:00 -0500

I had a similar problem with an example I was working on for GDP Rhythms, in Notation Reference 1.2.6.2. If you look at that example, you can see that there's a whole series of 8ths that ought to be autobeamed but are not. I couldn't even make them beam properly manually. I ended up sidestepping the issue and removing the extra voice, since that example is only meant to show how to make another part in a different staff begin at the right place after a cadenza. I don't know why the author of it introduced the complexity of multiple voices in that context.

Regarding your example, there were two ways I could get it to beam those last two 8ths automatically. One was to move the C in the final chord of the bar to the upper voice and allow the multiple-voice passage to last for the entire bar, rather than for only the first three beats. Here:

\version "2.11.55"

This makes the beaming work, and all the notes are the same, but it does not preserve the original intent of having the final chord <f a c> all in the lower voice. I'm sure you found that you could manually beam the "d8[ c]" but it doesn't seem like you should have to.

The other way was to leave the <f a c> chord intact in the lower voice, but put it inside the multi-voice << >> and add a quarter-note skip to the upper voice:

\version "2.11.55"

This does seem like a workaround, though, as it looks like something that ought to work exactly the way you had it the first time. Anyone else see what the problem could be?

Best,

Jonathan

James E. Bailey wrote:
I don't understand this. Why aren't the last two eighth notes beamed together?
\version "2.11.54"