Re: Please forget LM MG NR IR SL AU

From: Peter Wright
Subject: Re: Please forget LM MG NR IR SL AU
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:52:50 +0800

Starting point -

On 12/08 18:11:15, Nicholas Wastell wrote:
> If you don't like the rtfm questions, don't answer them.  There are,
> fortunately, some folks on the list with an ounce of patience and
> good manners.

Hmmmmm. Gee, that was subtle. :)

Valentin (quite reasonably, in my opinion) responded -

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 21:23:56 +0200 "Valentin Villenave" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Graham will probably not answer that, but... if you had been
> following discussions on -user and -devel for more than a few
> months, I think you would feel sorry for having written that.
[ snip ]
> Hint: please have a look at
> http://schlitt.info/applications/blog/index.php?/archives/541-10-golden-rules-for-starting-with-open-source.html
> (I learned a lot from this page in my days).

Nicholas didn't seem to appreciate the diplomatic offer of a way out of
his hole and instead kept digging -

On 13/08 09:41:09, Nicholas Wastell wrote:
> Don't patronise me, don't make excuses for Graham and I stand by
> what I wrote.

(...Oookaaaaay....)

And now in response to Sven's question:

On 13/08 12:10:14, Sven Axelsson wrote:
> 2008/8/13 Valentin Villenave <address@hidden>:
> > I know I should probably not feed the troll here, but let me
> > remind you that there's also
> > http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user-fr ; last time I
> > checked it was still safe from big evil Graham (if anything).
>
> Well, that's an example of hostility on the list right there.

Hardly hostility - Nicholas *did* say he didn't want to be patronised.
Gentle mocking is an entirely reasonable response to such a request
(when justified by the requestor's behaviour).

> What was trollish in Nicholas post I wonder?

Making a fairly obvious insinuation that Graham doesn't have an ounce
of patience or good manners. It's the sort of thing that you only add
if you're trying to take a shot at someone and spark a response (the
definitive trollish action).

I'd qualify that a bit from Valentin's comment though - an isolated
trollish remark doesn't necessarily make you a Genuine Troll(tm).

We can all be a little trollish at times. :-)

> Sven Axelsson

Pete, glowering from under his bridge.
--
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
don't you understand?