Re: doc work

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: doc work
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:58:49 -0700

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 16:31:22 +0000 (UTC)
Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:

> Kieren MacMillan <kieren_macmillan <at> sympatico.ca> writes:
>
> > Furthermore, there are *many* things about MIDI that are neither
> > clear nor simple ___ witness the number of questions on the list
> > about changing MIDI tempo, making dynamics work in multiple staves,
> > etc.
>
> That's why we have NR 3.5 MIDI Output.

Yes.

> In my opinion, the templates are intended to be useful for doing real
> LilyPond work, rather than primarily as tutorial elements (although
> they serve a tutorial function as well).  With this view in mind, it
> seems to me to be best to include the \midi block, with a comment
> that says to eliminate the block (or comment it out) in order to
> eliminate MIDI output.

Yes.

The idea is this: somebody has just finished reading the tutorial.
They've spent an hour doing so, and haven't touched a line of
lilypond yet.  They want to start doing something --
understandably so! -- so they copy&paste a template and start
adding notes.

In fact, what about instead of
  \midi{}
we do
  \midi { \tempo 4 = 60 }

?  That doesn't add any vertical length to the templates, but it
gives midi output (which can be very important for inexperienced
composers), and even gives a hint about how to change the tempo.

Cheers,
- Graham