Re: LSR status

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: LSR status
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 11:16:39 +0200

2008/8/25 Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden>:

Hi Kieren,

> However, if the Lilypond community is depending on *any* resource as heavily
> as it appears to be (or want to be) relying on the LSR, that resource needs
> to maintain ~ 99% uptime. If the current LSR hosting situation is unable to
> support that, I respectfully suggest we reconsider the hosting environment,
> or eliminate the LSR entirely (i.e., roll the tips and examples back into
> the regular docs somehow).

The LSR brings many advantages and it would be a disaster to not have
it anymore. Sebastiano is aware of the situation (a physical problem
with the hosting machine), and he's going to fix it as soon as he
comes back to Milano (any day now).

As for the hosting, I think we are already very lucky to benefit from
the powerful resources of his university (though it also can have its
downsides, as you pointed out; this is clearly the worst downtime
we've ever had, and I think Sebastiano will do everything he can to
make sure this doesn't happen again).

And note that many LSR snippets are duplicated in LilyPond sources
(input/lsr/).

Cheers,
Valentin