Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 00:43:42 +0200

Le mercredi 10 septembre 2008 à 11:49 +0200, Reinhold Kainhofer a
écrit :
> Am Samstag, 6. September 2008 schrieb Andrew Hawryluk:
> > Here's my initial design submission for the docs - it's just a gentle
> > modification of the CSS file:

Cool!  I applied it, and made some changes, see
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=commitdiff;h=b2d91785b770533fd27763c5b773855f6723fd98#patch3
BTW I don't know what "#CCF" was supposed to mean as a color.

> > - use "Century Schoolbook L" if available to match the LilyPond output
> > (Georgia is also a good option)
>
> Actually, on -devel we discussed fonts a while ago and decided not to put any
> font family in the .css file. The reason is that each user has different
> preferences and different fonts he is used to for viewing web pages. Any
> other font will only be confusing / make the output look unusual.
> In particular, I like a sans-serif font for viewing web pages, because I
> think
> that makes it much easier to read on screen (the is no additional clutter
> coming from the serifs, that the eye must comprehend, so there is less
> distraction from the main contours of the glyphs), while e.g. John or Graham
> prefer a serif font. We have all configured our browser to show the sans /
> serif fonts as default fonts, so LilyPond's documentation should honor that
> setting, too.

I second this.

>> - the colors are taken from the Monet "Waterlilies" on the LilyPond
homepage

I find it a good idea, even if we might decide to change this image:
it's a small heavily compressed JPEG image, this is not appealing
enough, LilyPond deserves better graphics on its start page.  Feel free
to propose a replacement for it, e.g. a graphical mixture of Monet
Waterlilies and some LilyPond output...

> > I didn't change the color of the box at the bottom ("This page is for
> > LilyPond-2.11.58") because it was styled right in the HTML file.
>
> Oops, yeah, that should be moved to the CSS, too.

Done in Git.  BTW I made html_postprocessing.py apply this style sheet
to toplevel pages too: the documentation index, the examples page,
translation status pages and developers page.

Andrew, feel free to suggest a new color for the footer :-)

Cheers,
John