Re: Newby questions

From: Daniel Hulme
Subject: Re: Newby questions
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 16:39:33 +0100

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 10:55:56AM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
[...]
>     \new Lyrics = sopranos { s1 }
>     \new Lyrics = sopranosb { s2 }
[...]

> My question is about the "\new Lyrics"  command. What's the {s1}
> referring to? It uses "sopransob" to find the right set of lyrics.
> When I had four verses, I used s1, s2, s3, and s4.  got an error
> message saying that 3 is not a duration. True, but what's that got to
> do with anything.

s is a special note that works like a rest but doesn't generate any
visible output. To put it another way, it generates a space in the
score. (You can think of s as short for "spacer" or "skip", just like r
is short for rest.) So s1 is a space a bar long, s2 is a space a
half-note (minim) long, and s3 is meaningless. It has nothing to do with
verse numbers at all: it's just there to make sure Lilypond doesn't
think your new Lyrics context is empty.

--
Only this,  that it is  better to  use "whom"  when  in doubt,  and even
better to reword the statement, and leave out all the relative pronouns,