Re: midi dynamics

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: midi dynamics
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 11:57:35 +0100

Mats Bengtsson
Quoting Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>:

if I need a `p espr.' mark, it's probably best (from a typographical
point of view) to write

 c\markup { \dynamic "p" \italic " espr." }

No, this is not the best solution from a typographical point of view.
If you for example have a hairpin ending on the same note and want
your dynamic indication vertically aligned with the hairpin, you should instead use make-dynamic-script, as described in the Notation Reference, section "New dynamic marks". Tricks to get horizontal alignment
on the p have been discussed recently on the mailing list.

to correctly align the horizontal and vertical distance of the `espr.'
string with the `p' dynamic sign.  However, this has the disadvantage
that the MIDI performer no longer recognizes the `p' as such.

My idea was to simply adjust the MIDI volume manually.  However, this
is much more tricky than expected, since LilyPond apparently doesn't
provide a simple means to do that.

Yes, it would be very convenient if make-dynamic-script was extended
so you also could specify the MIDI interpretation of the new dynamics mark.

Section 3.5.5 "Controlling MIDI dynamics" in the
2.11 docs shows two methods for controlling the
MIDI volume for user-created dynamic marks.

Trevor