Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 23:22:07 +0200

Am Montag, 22. September 2008 schrieb John Mandereau:
> On 2008/09/17, Reinhold Jainhofer wrote:
> > On Sunday 14 September 2008 21:50:36 Patrick McCarty wrote:
> > > I agree that the language selection should be included in the footer,
> > > but I'm not sure how the buildscript will have to be modified.
>
> I'm not sure how to move the lanugage menu into the footer: if we do
> this, it should be as visible as before, e.g. with normal text size
> (i.e. bigger than the rest of the footer), or with different colors.
> As soon as we agree on a formatting sample, I'll modify the buildscript
> accordingly.

Hmm, Does anyone have an idea how to properly format the language selection,
so that it can be moved into the footer and still be clearly visible, so
people don't overlook it?

> > Currently, the footer looks bad with Patrick's design on the server,
> > because I have not changed the footer to the HTML structure suggested by
> > Patrick.
> > Is everyone okay to change the footer lines to the following?
> >
> > This page is for LilyPond-2.11.59 (development-branch).
> > Your suggestions for the documentation are welcome, please report errors
> > to our bug list.
>
> I approve this.  I guess you may use usual Graham's ultimatum formula
> "Unless anybody complains" in such cases.

That's what I'm doing anyway.

> IMHO I prefer Patrick's design over Andrew, it's more colorful but still
> serious enough (as Valentin already wrote), and I second Patrick Horgan
> comment on links color: maybe we could make links a bit more blue?
> We might manage to merge both style sheets into one, but let's hurry up
> if we want this to make it into 2.12.0 ;-)

Actually, both style sheets have some minor issues, which leaves room for
improvement. They look good, but while working with them, you can feel some
rough edges now and there...

Andrew's CSS:
- -) Padding in the green footer bar looks bad
- -) padding of the left-aligned lines on the Doc / Devel index pages missing
- -) Blockquotes inside blockquotes get a double frame and look bad:
http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/user/lilypond-internals/InnerChoirStaff.html#InnerChoirStaff
- -) ....

Patrick's CSS:
- -) Doc / Devel index pages are missing some space between the gray version
bar
and the table
- -) Somehow the Doc/Devel index pages feel more overloaded with this style
than
with Andrew's.
- -) If the TOC on the left is short enough, no scroll bar is shown and the two
title bars (of the main frame on the start page and of the TOC) show an edge
(they touch with no border in between but have different height).
- -) If the Headline is line-broken, the line spacing is too small
- -) On the NEWS page the title is not shown in the green (there's also no
navbar, but that's a texi2html issue, but then, a navbar is not needed
anyway...)
- -) ....

Cheers,
Reinhold