Re: jpedal slowness

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: jpedal slowness
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 17:38:54 +0100

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 08:53:06PM +0100, Johan Vromans wrote:
> Martin Tarenskeen <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > 3. If I edit the source, everytime I save this is detected by an endless
> > loop in my script, lilypond is called and a new postscript is created.
> > This is detected by gv thanks to the -watch option. Et voila, the score
> > can be seen almost instantaneously!
>
> I use this approach for other purposes so I know it well.
> However, in the case of LP typesetting I've learned to appreciate the
> point and click facility to quickly jump from the score into the
> source...

I managed to make a modified version of my script work including
point-and-click facility (well, sort of) using xpdf and gvim. But I have
to hit "R" to reload a newly created pdf with Xpdf. And in gvim I have
to hit a key to exit a message that appears now and then at the
bottom of the screen. The less key- and mouseclicks I need to get what I
want, the better.

I would like to be able to use acroread or evince if possible. I don't
think the lilypond documentation is very clear on this subject. Only a
short example tells me how to configure xpdf. There have been posts
about this subject in the mailing list. But more help and examples in
the documentation would be nice.

Another problem:

I have just installed Fedora 10 on a Asus EeePC 900 minilaptop. Also
installed Lilypond and my script. Now I have a really lightweight
scorewriter ! My script works well, with the window sizes edited to fit
the small EeePC screen.

One problem: gv suddenly has a font problem since I installed this new
Fedora. The fonts in the buttons and menus are MUCH to wide. When
starting gv from a terminal I see an error message:

Warning: Cannot convert string
"-*-Helvetica-Medium-R-Normal--*-140-*-*-P-*-ISO8859-1" to type FontStruct
Warning: Cannot convert string
"-*-Helvetica-Medium-R-Normal--*-120-*-*-P-*-ISO8859-1" to type FontStruct
Warning: Cannot convert string
"-*-Helvetica-Medium-R-Normal--*-100-*-*-P-*-ISO8859-1" to type FontStruct
Warning: Cannot convert string
"-*-Helvetica-Bold-R-Normal--*-120-*-*-P-*-ISO8859-1" to type FontStruct

I know, this is totally off topic in this mailing list. But I bumped
into it when trying my lilypond edit script. And I know many lilyponders
are smart people who might know a solution :-)

--

Martin