Re: Cannot correctly code this rhythm...

From: M Watts
Subject: Re: Cannot correctly code this rhythm...
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:51:52 +1000

Brett Duncan wrote:
I've been fiddling with your files, and I cannot get the main notes to perfectly line up, even when I set proportionalNotationDuration to a very small value. The main culprits appear to be the grace notes, as Carl indicated, but also the tremolos. (A bug, maybe?)

And set SpacingSpanner #'strict-grace-spacing to ##t did not seem to have a discernable effect.

When I put \override SpacingSpanner #'strict-grace-spacing to ##t into the score's \with block, I get errors like

programming error: No spring between column 992 and next one continuing, cross fingers,

and output like the attached, but it's probably because of other things I tried too.

Anyway, I tried moving the Spacing_engraver into the DrumStaff context, but I don't think it makes much difference.

I now have the following, which doesn't look too bad, but I've put in too many settings which try to fight each other!

\new Score \with { \remove Spacing_engraver  }
{ \new DrumStaff \with {
       \override BarLine #'bar-size = #4

       \consists Spacing_engraver
       proportionalNotationDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1 2)
       \override SpacingSpanner #'uniform-stretching = ##t
\override SpacingSpanner #'common-shortest-duration = #(ly:make-moment 1 16) \override SpacingSpanner #'base-shortest-duration = #(ly:make-moment 1 8)
       \override SpacingSpanner #'average-spacing-wishes = ##t
       \override SpacingSpanner #'shortest-duration-space = #0.35
       \override SpacingSpanner #'spacing-increment = #2.45
}

PNG image