Re: Various ornaments, please help me

From: Simon Bailey
Subject: Re: Various ornaments, please help me
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 13:09:06 +0200

On 31 Mar 2009, at 11:43, 胡海鹏 - Hu Haipeng wrote:

Thanks. I know the notation and meaning (I have Grove in both html and braille (concise version in braille)), but it seems that Lilypond can't generate it.

I still can't figure out what's the difference between mordents and various pralls :-)

my girlfriend, a clarinettist and oboist, comes across these ornamentations far more often than i do. she told me the following:

mordent: single alteration down (c b c)
prall: single alteration up (c d c)

going by some other references (dolmetsch, kopprasch [iirc]), i think the following is how the other ones are interpreted:

prallprall: double alteration up (c d c d c)
prallmordent: up then down (c d c b c)
upprall: prall preceded by a lower step (b c d c)
downprall: prall preceded by the upper step (d c d c)
upmordent: mordent preceded by the lower step (b c b c)
downmordent: mordent preceded by the upper step (d c b c)
pralldown: prall finishing with the lower step (c d c b)
prallup: prall finishing with the upper step (c d c d)
lineprall: your guess is as good as mine

see the attached lilypond file for a possible interpretation. as with all ornaments, the exact timing is dependent on the period, the performer and which method he used to learn the ornaments from (kopprash for instance suggests a turn be performed as a triplet rather than as straigh 16ths...).

and to all the musicologists: feel free to correct any rubbish i've just posted.

regards,
sb
--
Simon Bailey