Removing empty (drum) staff in a score, instrument name placement

From: ross
Subject: Removing empty (drum) staff in a score, instrument name placement
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 14:21:25 -0500

Hi all,

I am putting together my final project for a university undergraduate
course, "Instrumentation and Arranging". It's an arrangement of a
short piano work by Ernesto Lecuona. It's arranged for the six instrumentalists in the class to perform live.

I am almost finished, except for two small issues that I cannot fathom how to fix! The score source is located here: http://ross.uber.name/comparsa-lecuona.ly and the score pdf is here: http://ross.uber.name/comparsa-lecuona.pdf

1) Despite "RemoveEmptyStaffContext" being used (line 298), the congas
part still persists in each system (from page 5 to the end), even
though it contains only rests. "\RemoveEmptyRhythmicStaffContext" doesn't
work either. If I can get that staff hidden, I think I will be able to shave four pages off of the score.

2) How can I place instrument names above and to the left the first system on the individual parts? See example (flute part): http://ross.uber.name/comparsa-lecuona-1.pdf I already have "\remove "Instrument_name_engraver" in all the parts' books (line 306, etc.)

Also, any coding or aesthetic tips for a beginner are welcome!

Thank you,

Ross Uber